Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Firewood


We've been thoroughly enjoying our new (to us) fireplace insert, especially with the temperatures dipping into the single digits here lately. We used up all the firewood I insisted Matt bring over here from the old house. The prospect of Christmas without a fire seemed unthinkable, so Matt ordered a cord of firewood.

The guy showed up with the load right after quiet time today. I naively thought he'd stack it where I wanted it. No, he just threw it on the driveway. He insisted that it would only take an hour or so to stack, but that I'd better get on it because the snow was starting to fly. My naivete also extended to not knowing how much wood is actually in a cord of wood. It's a lot. I started stacking while Paul rearranged the pile in the driveway. By the time Matt got home from work, I had the job two thirds completed and then he and Paul finished it for me.

Matt was pleased with my idea of stacking the firewood on the front porch so that it would be easier to bring into the house. However, I had the idea before I actually saw how much wood there was. So now our house looks like we're expecting Old Man Winter to produce weather like that found in the Swiss Alps. Oh well, it's better than a moldy pumpkin.

No comments: