Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Moldy Monstrosity

I purchased a big ol' pumpkin from my goddaughter, Opal, earlier this Fall. I had Matt put it on the front porch for decoration. Within the first week, it began to mold. Well, now that it's December and I have a Christmas wreath hanging on the front door, I decided the pumpkin must go. Tonight was the night. The garbage man comes early in the morning.

Matt was at a meeting for the evening, so we were without his manly muscles. I decided to dangle a carrot of hot chocolate with marshmellow Peep snowmen as a reward to anyone who would help me dispose of the moldy monstrosity. Joel even tried to help with the obligatory heavy-lifting "ughs." The thing was heavy, slimy and awkward. After multiple tries, Paul and I finally heaved it up into the garbage can, which we hauled to the curb.

A few years ago it really would have bothered me to have grody pumpkin that everyone had to pass by on the way into the house. Martha Stewart doesn't live here, that's obvious. My loving husband, my six wonderful kids and lil' ol' me live here and we're happy we do.

No comments: