Monday, December 1, 2008

Weekend Getaway

Matt and I (and Jude) were able to get away for a couple of days this past weekend. Matt's parents did an awesome job of watching the five other kids while we were gone.

We arrived at our destination, a small bread and breakfast, late afternoon on Friday. The place was not real fancy, but we're not real fancy people, so we liked it. I fed Jude in the recliner in our room and sneaked in a few peeks of Food Network (I could watch that station all day and not get bored. That's why we had to get rid of cable t.v. a few years ago.)


Saturday we spent the majority of the day shopping. I had a Value Village coupon for twenty percent off, Goodwill was having a fifty percent off everything in the store sale and Linens-N-Things was having a going out business sale. I can't speak for Matt (Mr. "I'm allergic to shopping"), but I had a great time (don't I have a wonderful and patient husband?). It was so nice not to have to leave a store because someone was having a meltdown or because it was quiet time.

My favorite find of the day was a small clock I bought at Goodwill for $2.50. I've been looking for a small battery operated analog clock for on top of the t.v. armoire in the family room since we moved here. Do you know how hard it is to find something like that? Well, I finally found it. It looks like a miniature mantle clock and I love it. Now I know what time it is when I'm rocking the littles in the recliner.

Saturday night we ate at an Italian restaurant. I was skeptical, but Matt insisted. I was pleasantly surprised. The pasta was al dente. It's darn near impossible to find al dente pasta, even at an Italian restaurant, but this place did it right. I had fresh fettuccine pasta with dungeness crab and a cream sauce. I haven't had pasta that good since I ate at Harry Caray's restaurant in Chicago (remember that, Dad?).

Sunday morning we had a nice breakfast at the place and then we went to church. For the last couple of years, our own church has been worshipping in the gymnasium of our church school. When the curtains are set up as "walls" it feels like the Old Testament tabernacle (though not as elaborate) and I do love it. However, I do very much miss having the Presence Candle. The church where we worshipped on Sunday had one. It's nice to have a visible reminder of God's presence among His people.

When we arrived at Grandma and Grandpa's house to pick up the kids, we weren't sure who was more tired--the kids or the grandparents. The kids had a great time, but everyone, including little Jude, was happy to be home and snugged up in his or her own bed that night.

No comments: