Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lydia Logic II

Tonight, for the first time in recent memory, I defied Lydia logic.

I promised the girls early in the day that I'd take them shopping tonight to look for the Christmas gifts they wanted to buy for the people on their lists. When I told Matt my plan he said, "You mean all the girls? Lydia, too?" "Oh, no," I said. Lydia is not store-trained very well yet. No matter what store you take her to, she always finds something she wants. I was too tired to deal with that tonight, but when Lydia got wind of the plan to go shopping (it's almost impossible to hide anything from her), she begged me to take her, too.

In a stroke of genius (or at the very least, a shot in the dark), I said, "Lydia, I have a secret for you." I then bent down and whispered into her ear, "The reason we can't take you is that we're buying presents for you."

Her eyes got big and she said, "Ohhhh." All of a sudden staying home with the boys seemed like the best idea in the world. (And we really did look for something for Lydia.)

No comments: