Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jesus is the Reason II

In my last post, I wrote about honoring Christ through the Christmas decorations in our home. Obviously, it's much easier to honor Christ outwardly than it is to honor Him inwardly, in my heart. I'm a list person. I like to check things off of my list, especially this time of year. I get really task-oriented and when something (or someone) gets in the way of completing the task, I get frustrated and CRABBY.

The last few summers, the gals and I have been studying the concept of "taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." The last couple of years, I've made a conscious effort to put this into practice during the Christmas season. I've had some successes and some failures. This year I'm back at it again. I've also added the goal of "learning to be content in every circumstance." Instead of seeing interruptions as interruptions, I try to accept them and not get angry because of them.

I have a three-pronged approach to warding off the Christmas grumpies. I'm using this approach again this year and I plan to do better than I did last year. Next year I'll plan to do better than I did this year. Here it is:

1. Stay in the Word. No matter how busy I get, if I don't take time for my morning Bible reading, everything falls apart. I usually only spend fifteen to twenty minutes reading through the scriptures of the day in my one year Bible. I say a couple of quick prayers and then get started on the day. (I do all this in the bathroom--the only place where I can get a bit of privacy.) I do try to spend longer times in prayer when I can (during quiet time or in the middle of the night).

2. Delegate. This is a toughy for me. I like to do things my way, therefore I like to do things myself. I've had to learn that other people do things differently than I do and that's o.k.--at least it's done. Besides, the kids are eager to help out with tasks such as stuffing Christmas cards, wrapping presents and baking.

3. Lower expectations. Some things won't get done well or done at all. That's o.k. My expectations have lowered so much over the years I hardly recognize them anymore, but it's just not possible for me to do all that I used to do at Christmas.

As a way to check my attitude this year, I've been asking myself, "When my kids are grown, will they remember Crabby Christmas Momma or will they remember peaceful momma who took the time to celebrate the birth of Jesus with them?" I'm not saying I'll do all of this perfectly this year. Sanctification is a process, but it's a process that's well worth the goal. "Not that I have already obtained all of this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." (Phil. 3:12)

No comments: