Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dandy Lydia Turns 4

Lydia's birthday was yesterday. She's been counting the days to her birthday since Thanksgiving and when the big day finally arrived, she woke up with a sore throat--poor kid. She didn't eat a thing all day and finally took one bite of the pizza she had requested for her birthday dinner. She didn't even eat her pink-frosted cake. She was able to open and enjoy her presents, though. My parents, brother, sister and niece helped the rest of us celebrate.

I often get comments on Lydia's middle name, Dean. It's a family name. My great grandmother was named Edna Dean. My grandmother's name was Dorothy Dean. She didn't give her daughter (my mother) the name, but my mom named my sister Emily Dean. It's a bit of a family joke that if your middle name is "Dean" you must be strong-willed and independent.

I remember my Uncle Keith imploring me not to give Lydia the middle name Dean as she was bound to get the "Dean" qualities if I did (he was joking, of course). Well, guess what--Uncle Keith was right. Lydia's middle name is very appropriately "Dean." That Lydia--she's a dandy!

No comments: