Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Original Sin

As a mother of six, I'm very aware of how my childrens' inherited sin natures can be clearly seen at very young ages. "The gimme" syndrome roots its ugly head even in a baby who is only months old. Tonight, the kids and I witnessed our own sweet little Joel exhibit this syndrome.

Matt was gone as he had a meeting at church. Since he bears the brunt of the bedtime routine, I usually resort to using tricks to get the children in bed. (O.K.--I'm also by nature sinful and unclean. I'll call it what it is--bribery.) I got out the box of chocolates the neighbor lady brought us yesterday and made the call, "Anyone who wants candy better get ready for bed and then be quietly waiting at the kitchen table!"

As soon as we opened the box, Joel began screaming. Then I said, "Everyone can have three chocolates." I gave Joel his portion, which he promptly put in his mouth. Then he stood up in his chair, chipmunk cheeks and all, and began yelling and waving his arms. "No, no, no!" He didn't want anyone else getting more than their fair share, which in his eyes, meant that they shouldn't get any.
I told Joel to quit yelling and to finish his mouthful. He chewed as fast as he could, yelling "No!" in between chews. I knew I shouldn't give him anymore, but I did anyway (chalk it up to fatigue=apathy). Then the sugar started to hit him. You could almost see his eyes roll back into his head. He held onto that last piece of candy, though. I said, "Joel, why don't you give that back to me. You're full." Nope, not gonna do it. Joel held onto that piece of chocolate as though his life depended on it.
I said, "Joel, have you had too much Turkish Delight?" To which he replied, "No!"

No comments: