Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

Today we spent our Valentine's Day in a most romantic way--we painted our bedroom together. When Matt put the first strokes of paint on the ceiling, I panicked, believing I had chosen the wrong color. "You'll love it, Melissa." (Translation--"This paint is custom-colored and non-returnable--the decision has been made.") When I started cutting in the walls, I panicked again. Once one wall was covered, however, I relaxed. I like it much better than sponge painting and wall paper border.

I told Matt it looked like caramel, he said it looked like butterscotch (that's his favorite flavor.) "You say 'tomato,' I say 'tomahto.' " After a time of letting all the kids have a turn with the paint roller, we shooed them all out so we could finish the job. We hardly talked at all. I think that's how you know you truly love someone--when you don't have to fill the silence with words.

My friend Julie delivered a basket filled with seven homemade caramel apples, Valentine candy and caramel chex mix to our house about mid-morning. It was a really neat surprise and a life-saver for me since I hadn't planned anything at all for the kids for Valentine's Day.

We didn't have to worry about dinner preparation after painting all day because we met for our monthly extended family dinner at Matt's parents' house. It was a great way to end Valentine's Day--surrounded by a big loving family.

Here's Lydia enjoying a caramel apple (the caramel part, at least):

No comments: