Monday, June 30, 2008

Wild & Crazy 24 Hrs.

Last night Matt and I went to bed hoping to get more sleep than we had the night before. We went to bed exhausted from our long work day Saturday night. Lydia woke us up about 1 a.m. to tell us her stomach hurt. We got her set up in our bedroom, anticipating that she would soon throw up. She did. We were up and down all night with her. So last night we planned on a good night's sleep--wrong again.

The wind started whistling through the crack in the french doors right by our bed about 2 a.m. Then we heard the thunder and the branches from the trees hitting the side of the house. Neither one of us were able to sleep until about 3:30 a.m.

We awoke to find one of the huge Silver Maples in the backyard split down the middle to the ground. Matt left messages with a couple of tree guys before he went to work. I headed to the pool with the kids for swimming lessons. While there, I made about four phone calls to take care of the mounting list of details which have become so common around here.

The kids and I headed to Elizabeth's appointment to get her hearing checked. She did great. Then off to McDonald's for a quick lunch. I ate the turkey sandwich I had packed. Back in the van to head to the old house to meet the junk removal guy. I talked with him, then the kids and I cleaned up the debris in the yard left from the storm and then we headed home.

Quiet time--whew, but not for long--the doorbell rang. It was the UPS man on his third attempt to find us home to deliver Matt's birth certificate. Matt needs to get his passport in case he is sent to China on business. (I've been praying this won't happen.)

Bob the tree man showed up at four to give me an estimate on the tree removal. He said the job was way to big for him and that I should get 3 bids from the bigger companies in town. I went inside made a few phone calls and then I headed over to the the neighbor's house to let him know we'd be taking care of the tree a.s.a.p. (It fell onto his property.) The kids and I headed outside to begin putting away all the stuff in the driveway. The three guys unloaded the trailer onto the driveway on Saturday and the yard sale look just wasn't working for me. As we worked, the first of the three big tree companies in town came to give me a bid.

Matt arrived home from work shortly thereafter with a babysitter and whisked me off for a surprise date night. He took me to the restaurant normally reserved for our anniversary. I had the chicken marsala. It was the best meal I've had in two weeks. I expected the mashed potatoes to blow my blood sugar numbers, but they didn't.

After dinner, we headed to a friend of a friend's house to check out the fireplace insert they planned on throwing away. We found out after we moved to this house that the fireplace doesn't work. We measured the insert and told the guy we would call him later to tell him if we wanted it.

We stopped at Winco on the way home so that I wouldn't have to take six kids with me to shop there tomorrow. Got home, started to unload the groceries from the car and a kid who was house sitting for someone down the street came running into our yard. He'd locked himself out and needed to use our phone. We invited him in, he made a few phone calls while I surveyed the damage the kids and the babysitter had made while making cookies. Pretty bad, and I had to change Joel's leaky messy diaper.

Meanwhile, Matt measured the fireplace to see if the insert would fit. Looks like it will, so Matt called the guy back to tell him not to throw it away. We'll pick it up by this weekend.

Matt took the babysitter home, I got the kids in bed, checked my blood sugar and then cleaned up the kitchen. Now we'll head to bed in the hopes that we will actually get a good night's sleep tonight.

(8:00 a.m., July 1st--We did get a good night's sleep last night and we awoke to our favorite noises--giggles and the pitter patter of little feet. "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest." As a mother, I may not always get all the sleep I think I need, but the Lord always provides me with the strength I need each day to serve Him.)

No comments: