Thursday, May 29, 2008

Boxes, Boxes, Boxes

Our living room is absolutely full of boxes. Matt and I knew this would happen. We knew we would get to the point where we'd have little room to move about main living spaces of the house and that time has come. Matt had looked into getting a local moving company to park a truck in our driveway for a week, but then he found out they only do that for out-of-state moves. Then Jessica from our church called and offered her double horse trailer to us. What an answer to prayer! She'll drop it off tomorrow morning--none too soon.

Tuesday night elders John, Jason and Roland got all the books in the house into boxes--35 of them. I should have heeded my friend Julie's warnings at yard sales, "Stay away from those books. You don't need any more books."

Yesterday my friend Sherri from Bible study came to help me. She packed so well and so fast that I had a hard time keeping up with her. We finished packing the storage room off the master bedroom. That was a big weight off my mind. I had originally thought that it would only take me a couple of hours to pack this room--I was sorely mistaken--it ended up being about 6 or 7. My pregnant self is pretty slow moving right now.

Joan from church came yesterday afternoon and packed the china hutch. My stuff, three grandmas things and yard sale treasures combined to make it a pretty big job. Joan had had a hard day at work and then came to my house to help me. She was a trooper, though, and got the job done.

Today Grace, Elizabeth and I worked in the morning and then Beth from church came this afternoon to help. She and Grace got most of the school room packed.

We've found plenty to give to Goodwill along the way. I also plan on giving a bunch of stuff to my friend Brooke who just adopted 3 children from Ethiopia (to add to her other 3). She's having a yard sale this weekend. Perfect timing!

Joel is very much enjoying his new found freedom. He re-learned how to sit yesterday and figured out how to crawl again today. He even stood up for a few minutes at the play kitchen. Lydia said, "I can't cook with this baby!"

We had a surprise dinner guest this evening. My Uncle Keith (and godfather) was down here on a farming errand and joined us for supper. I didn't feel like running to the store to fill out our meal of chicken and rice, but the Lord provided what we needed. Matt came home with some CSA produce from our friends Brian and Julie. We were able to put together a nice salad and grill some fresh asparagus. Uncle Keith brought three kinds of ice cream, including bubble gum, which proved to be the most popular choice. What kid doesn't like bubble gum? What little girl named Lydia doesn't like anything pink? What a nice way to end a very long day--good food and good conversation.

No comments: