Friday, May 16, 2008

The Sting

As Matt and I have discussed moving over the last two years, our conversations have always included regrets of having to leave our neighbors. Marge (and her late husband Ernie) and Paul have been such blessings to us. They've always watched over us and we've always done the same for them.

Marge has sewn every curtain in my house, mended countless clothes, fashioned Robin Hood hats, given us fresh-baked bread, attempted to teach Elizabeth to read (not Marge's fault that it didn't work--more on that in another blog entry), had the kids over for hot chocolate and Christmas tree decorating and has served as a refuge for me when I get frazzled and need a break. We've shared many wonderful conversations over tea in her living room or at her kitchen table.

Paul would be considered a bit eccentric by most people's standards, but he's been a wonderful neighbor. He's watched our dogs (when we had them) whenever we went on vacation. He didn't just give them food and water, but extra pets and loves as well. Paul has always kept an eagle eye on our property when we're away and when Matt's on a business trip and he knows the kids and I are alone. Every Christmas, Paul gives each of the kids one troy ounce of silver. He even makes sure my niece (who was with us for a year) gets one. When we first moved here, we only had two kids, but Paul always makes sure all the kids get a coin. This past year, he over counted and when we told him he had given us too many coins he said, "Just go ahead and keep it."

Yesterday we told these two people that we would be moving in three weeks. As I walked over to Marge's I was sick to my stomach. Well, I got it out and she was very gracious, saying she was tickled for us.

Matt told Paul. He said it would have been more humane just to hit Paul over the head with a frying pan. We cried and prayed ourselves to sleep last night. I've known all along that if we moved, leaving our neighbors would be the sting. I have to trust that God in His sovereignty will see to their needs as well. Matt and I are praying that kind and gentle people will move into our house and come to love Marge and Paul as much as we do.

No comments: