Monday, May 26, 2008

God is in the Details

Matt and I are getting a bit nervous about getting everything done for the big move on June 7. God has made it so clear to us that this house is from Him. Since this was God's idea, Matt and I have to trust that He won't leave us stranded in the sea of details needed to make this move happen. In the last few days, we've seen how God has provided.

Friday morning my friend Tammy came here to help me pack and defrost the big upright freezer. Her older girls watched Paul and Lydia at their house. Elizabeth watched Joel and Grace helped Tammy and me. Fortunately (Tammy had to point out to me the "fortunately" part), one of the kids had not gotten the freezer door shut tight the day before and I had to throw away a bunch of food. "Look at it this way," Tammy said, "now you won't have so much to move." We also had a head start on the defrosting. That night, Tammy and her family dropped off a bunch of boxes and joined us for s'mores around what was probably our last campfire at this house.

Matt and Grace worked in the yard on Saturday. Elizabeth watched Joel while I packed some boxes. I put a turkey in the oven for dinner and then realized I had already packed my meat thermometer. I dug it out of it's box and decided I'd better hold off on packing it again until we get closer to moving day.

Yesterday we went to early church and then headed north for a family reunion. It was raining here when we left, so we figured the whole swimming part of the event would be canceled. By the time we arrived at my uncle's house, however, the sun had broken through the clouds. Matt and the kids (minus Joel) stayed in the pool for 3 1/2 hours straight. Joel thought he should be allowed to swim, too, but we explained to him he'd have to wait a few more days. The three littles were asleep by the time we hit the highway and they slept the whole 2 1/2 hour drive home.

This morning I took Elizabeth and Lydia with me to put some flowers on a couple to friends' graves. Matt took the other kids to the Memorial Day service at the cemetery. We're trying to impress upon the kids that this country's freedom isn't free. That's so hard for all of us to remember when we live in a time of such peace and prosperity.

Lydia and Paul will play at their friends Cooper and Taylor's house for the morning so that we can get some more packing done here with a couple less distractions.

Matt's mom has arranged for two young ladies from her church to come to our house this afternoon to do some yard work. They're earning money to go on a mission later this summer. We definitely have no lack of work around here, so we know they'll be a big help to us. Thanks, Mom!

Yesterday after church, I had a couple of women offer to help me pack. Also, two elders offered to help us. After all the stress and worry, we see that God truly does care about the details and He will provide for our every need.

No comments: